There are actually several ways to connect a Wi-Fi extender to a router to start using it, and the most commonly used method is by using a computer such as a PC or laptop. But what if you don’t have a computer to hand? What other ways of setting up a Wi-Fi extender are there, that don’t involve using a PC/laptop/Mac?
That’s what we’re going to cover in this guide. You don’t need a PC/laptop to set up a Wi-Fi extender and can do it with a browser on any device, or just by pushing a button:
- Use WPS Button
- Use a browser on a phone/tablet
- Use an Tethering app on a phone
Let’s cover each method in more detail.
Method #1 – Use The WPS Feature
All Wi-Fi extenders, and almost all modern routers have a WPS or Pair feature, which allows synching of devices without even doing any manual configuration. WPS stands for Wi-Fi Protected Setup and allows devices to connect just by pushing a button. On a Wi-Fi extender, it’ll just be a Wi-Fi/Pair button, the only one on it usually. Look for this symbol or “WPS/Pair” on your router:
Here are the general steps to set up your extender using WPS:
- Plug the extender in near the router for initial setup and wait for it to initialize
- Press the WPS/Pair button on your router until it flashes/blinks
- Press the WPS/Pair/Connect/Wi-Fi button on your repeater. Sometimes you need to press and hold for a few seconds until it starts blinking.
- Give up to 2 minutes for the router and extender to “find” each other via the WPS feature.
- Once the LED on your extender turns solid green, you know the router and extender are connected.
- When set up via WPS, your extender will share the same network name (SSID) and password as your main router. Find and connect to it on your device’s Wi-Fi networks list.
- Then move the extender round for a better signal if needed.
See our full article on extender WPS setup for more detailed steps if you need them.
WPS Extender Setup – Quick Video
WPS is a great no nonsense way to connect your extender to your router and start using it within seconds, without needing any manual setup, or any device at all in fact.
Method #2 – Use A Browser On A Phone/Tablet
When people say they don’t have a computer to hand, we’re assuming here a laptop or a PC. Most households have at least one smaller portable device like a phone or a tablet, and you can actually use one of these to set up your Wi-Fi extender. You can do it on ANY device that has a browser; it doesn’t need to be a laptop or PC, so it’s a not a problem if you don’t have one.
If you have a phone/tablet to hand, here’s how you can configure your Wi-Fi extender using it:
- Plug the extender in near the router for initial setup
- Note down login details on your extender on the label and plug it in.
- Find the extender’s SSID (network name) on your device and connect
- Open any web browser on your phone/tablet and type in the access URL (on the label) into the address bar
- Enter the default admin username/password on the label (see screenshot below)
- Set up a new SSID/username/password if desired.
- Find and connect to your router’s Wi-Fi network on the list.
- Either copy or modify your router’s credentials for the repeater.
- Save settings and connect the device to the new extender network, which will have the same password as your main router.
- A green light indicates the repeater is connected and working.
- Then move the extender round to where you need it, still making sure it is within range of the router’s signal
See our full article on extender browser setup for more detailed steps.
This provides more customizability versus doing it via WPS, and isn’t really that hard as long as you’ve got any smaller portable device to hand.
Method #3 – Use a Tethering App (TP Link Models)
Another method that’s open to you if you have a phone/tablet to hand, and your extender is a TP Link model, is to use a Tethering app that they make available.
Here are the steps for this:
- Find the Tethering app for your brand of extender (here’s a link to the TP Link one that’ll be most commonly used), and install it on your phone/tablet.
- Create a profile using the app
- Find your extender on the Wi-Fi network list
- Connect and it will be added to your tethering app
- Create new admin login credentials (username/password)
- Select your router on the network list
- Enter the router Wi-Fi password.
- Modify the extender’s SSID if desired
- Tap Save/Apply/Finish to complete setup
- Your extender is now connected to the router and ready to use.
See our full guide on settings up an extender using a Tethering App on your phone, for more detailed steps.
This method is basically very similar to the previous one – the steps are virtually the same. But you’re just using a special downloaded app instead of a browser on your phone/tablet, and no PC or laptop is needed.